- Q?What is a Phone Line Alternative (PLA)?
A Phone Line Alternative (or “Dry Loop”) is a monthly service that allows users to have a DSL or Broadband internet without an analog telephone line or dial tone.
- Q?DSL vs. Cable Internet?
The main difference between DSL and Cable internet access is how your internet data is transmitted.
A DSL connection transmits data through your phone line to your modem or network cable to your computer, while a cable connection transmits data over your television line (cable) to a modem, which then connects to your computer via a router or network cable.
- Both Cable and DSL give you the ability to access your internet and telephone connection at the same time.
- Both have a significantly faster connection speed than Dial-Up and Wireless connections.
- Depending on resources (cable or tower access), Cable and/or DSL may not be available in your area.
- DSL generally has more variety in connection speed choices.
- DSL receives data much faster than it can send data – resulting in higher download speeds than upload speeds.
- While Cable can be faster than DSL, you share available bandwidth with others in your area which can cause a slower performance
- You need an active phone line or Phone Line Alternative to connect to the internet when using DSL.
- Cable does not need an active phone line or phone line alternative to connect to the internet.
In choosing which connection is right for you, take into account: your area, your usage, your downloading rates, your existing television and/or telephone lines.
If you’re still not sure, call us at 1 (877) 564-4922 or email fill out our contact form and one of our sales representatives will be happy to help.